Things to Do This Week
- Volunteer for the Spring Fair and contribute a “Bag O’ Fun”
- Submit nominations for the PTO Board
- Sign up to help with Safe Routes to School pedestrian safety training for 2nd graders
- Donate to the Kindergarten Playground Campaign
Spring Fair – Volunteers and Donations Needed
The Spring Fair this year will be held on Saturday, June 6th and we are looking for your help to volunteer your time to make this day a success. We also welcome 5th graders and or any students that may need hours for community service. Please sign up on our volunteer page and pick your favorite event to work before it is filled up!
Bag O’ Fun
Please fill a ziplock bag (the lunch bag size) with toys, art supplies, or other fun items and return it to school with your child by Wednesday June 3rd – attn: Lori P. Contributions should be limited to $5 worth of fun fillers or whatever you may have stashed in your house. These bags will then be used at a game at the Spring Fair.
- Art supplies
- Squirt toys
- Key chains
- Super balls
- Toy animals
- Hot wheels
- Items such a McDonald toys or items from a birthday party gift bag
Thank you in advance! Questions? Email Lori Pescatore.
Nominations for PTO Board
Nominations for the 2015-2016 school year’s PTO Officers are being accepted by email or in person. All Peirce parents/guardians and staff may vote in the election. A voting box will be placed outside the main office on Wednesday, June 3rd and additional votes can be cast in person that evening at the June PTO meeting. Elected parties will be notified by email and election results will be posted online. Questions? Email email@example.com
The following elected positions are open:
- President(s): Preside at all PTO meetings. Oversee the work of all officers and committees, delegate tasks as needed, and bring proposals to a vote at meetings. Shall be a member ex officio of all committees; and shall coordinate the work of the officers and committees of the PTO in order that its objectives may be promoted.
- Vice-President(s): Be available to backfill for the President in case of absence. It is preferred but not required that the Vice-President serve as President the following year.
- Treasurer(s): Oversee PTO budget and use of funds. Count and deposit funds from all events, review and pay bills, deliver and sign checks. Reconcile monthly bank statements, prepare and present treasurer’s report at all PTO meetings. With an accountant, oversee the preparation of tax returns and annual reports. Maintain the financial records of the PTO.
- Recording Secretary/ies: Take minutes at general meetings and board meetings. Type minutes and submit for approval of the PTO membership.
Parents are also welcome to chair or volunteer for a PTO committee, including:
- Community Outreach
- Volunteer Coordination
- Kindergarten Playground
Meetups for Incoming Kindergarten Families
Do you have an incoming Peirce Kindergartner? If your child is entering Peirce in the Fall of 2015, join our mailing list and Facebook group to connect with other parents and to be notified of meetups that we will be scheduling over the next few months. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join our email list, and join our Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/424471251061870/.
Upcoming meetup dates:
- Friday, 5/29 from 3:30-5 PM at McClennen Park playground
- Sunday, 6/14 from 9:30-11 AM at Peirce big playground
- Monday, 6/22 from 3:30-5 PM at Hill’s Hill playground (by skating
rink at 422 Summer Street)
6/5 Safe Routes to School Safety Training
Peirce Elementary is proud to be part of the Safe Routes to School community (SRTS). On June 5th, our 2nd graders will have a pedestrian safety training. Each 2nd grade class will have a 30 minute session outside where they will practice safety skills on the sidewalk, in a parking lot, and crossing the street.
SRTS will train parents from 8-8:30 AM and then parents will assist with training students from 8:30-9:30 AM. We need ten parent volunteers to make this a successful event – please sign up on our volunteer page!
Kindergarten Playground Update
The Kindergarten teachers, with the help of the PTO, have just launched a fundraising effort to update the Kindergarten Playground! The Kindergarten teachers approached the PTO about this project early this school year, proposing the addition of musical instruments or art space to the playground to give children a creative alternative when waiting in line for the two swings, and seating so kids are not sitting in the dirt to eat snack.
In December the PTO voted unanimously to fund $3,000 toward this project. In April, Mrs. Lloyd submitted an AEF Grant for further funding.
To be clear, this is NOT a discussion about a playground tear down or expansion of the existing footprint. Rather, the teachers are looking to use the existing structures and landscape as the foundation for designing a space that allows our children to better utilize their limited recess and to give our teachers the opportunity to use the playground as an outdoor teaching area, thereby increasing the amount of time children spend outside.
The School District will not begin looking at playground updates until the 2017 school year at the earliest, and we have been told that Peirce will be at the bottom of list because the condition of the existing structure is good.
If you would like to support our Kindergarten Teachers in their effort to give our youngest students a play space that allows them to spend more time outside, and develop their sensory play please consider donating to the Go Fund Me Campaign at: GoFundMe.com/peirceplayground. Please also consider sharing this link far and wide. We also have a sign that you can print and hang up in your neighborhood (click here to download). Many neighborhood families who do not yet have children at Peirce use the playground and might be interested in helping out.
If you would like to help out with the playground project, please reach out to the PTO at email@example.com.
The Flamingos Have Landed!
The Peirce flamingo flock landed on Summer Street near school on Friday, May 1st! The flock is fully booked through June and we can’t take any more orders – thanks to everyone who donated to the Peirce PTO. The Head Flocker will notify you by email the Sunday before the flock visits your “flockee.”
(photo by Emo Orrell)
Volunteers Needed for Spring Fair
This year the Peirce PTO will again host the annual Spring Fair in June. We are looking for some folks to assist the current organizers (a few lovely ladies who have been running the fair for many years!) in planning this year’s fair and then take it over next year. If you are interested in running the Crafts, Food, or Planning please contact Lori Pescatore. We would love to be able to show you the ropes this year and then hand it off next year. This is a wonderful tradition we have had at Peirce for many years and we would love for it to continue.